FUNMASALACENTER

Relax Here with Fun and Entertainment

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hurt Tharoor says he is ready for ‘thorough probe’

Two days after being forced to quit over his alleged links to the Kochi IPL franchise, former minister Shashi Tharoor Tuesday said he had done no wrong and urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to probe the charges of impropriety and corruption hurled against him.
As the Lok Sabha listened with rapt attention, Tharoor, speaking for the first time after his resignation as minister of state for external affairs, said his conscience was clear but he felt “deeply wounded”.
“I am deeply wounded by fanciful and malicious charges made against me and I have requested the prime minister to have these charges against me thoroughly investigated,” an emotional Tharoor said amid loud thumping of desks by his Congress party colleagues.
The former UN diplomat and bestselling novelist said: “I have done nothing improper or unethical, let alone illegal. Nonetheless, in view of the ongoing political controversy, I have no desire to be an embarrassment to the government and believe that my departure at this stage will allow the prime minister and his cabinet colleagues to focus on the great challenges facing our nation.”
Saying his resignation was in line with “the highest moral traditions of our democratic system”, the MP from Thiruvananthapuram said he also wanted to let parliament continue its legislative business stalled by opposition members demanding his sacking.
Tharoor, 54, was blamed for misusing office in favouring his Dubai-based friend Sunanda Pushkar to secure sweat equity in the Indian Premier League (IPL) Kochi franchise worth Rs.70 crore. Some critics alleged that Pushkar was Tharoor’s front — a charge both of them have denied.
Dressed in a spotless white kurta pyjama with a tricolour scarf draped around his shoulders, Tharoor said that his career as a public servant was unblemished by any financial taint.
“I am new to Indian politics but I have a long record of public services, unblemished by the slightest taint of financial irregularity… I have led an unblemished life of personal integrity and probity and it is important to me that my name is cleared (of the charges),” he said.
The former UN official said he had returned to India after long years of international service “because I had always cherished the desire to make a difference in my own country”.
“I returned to India because I believe in an India of openness and straightforwardness, not of hypocrisy and double dealing… I believe in an India of pluralism and diversity, not of religious bigotry and caste politics.”
He also underlined his connections to Kerala — his home state.
“I am proud to represent the capital of Kerala, a state that in so many ways is a trailblazer for India’s progress, though in other respects it seems to have been left behind in the race for 21st century development.”
He said it was a “great privilege” for him to have served the government and the Congress under the leadership of Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson and party president Sonia Gandhi – “two of the finest public servants our country has ever had”.
The resignation, he said, marked a new beginning for him.
“I am heartened by the love, friendship and loyalty I have received from well-wishers in Thiruvananthapuram, across my home state Kerala and throughout (the) country. I am determined to continue to do my best for India and for the ideals that brought me back here.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home