FUNMASALACENTER

Relax Here with Fun and Entertainment

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Cosmetic demands of love: Will you surrender?


Cosmetic surgery.jpg
Cosmetic demands of love: Will you surrender? (Getty Images)
Hollywood beauty Angelina Jolie had recently urged hubby Brad Pitt to get a face lift. Reason? She is turned off by his shabby looks.

Apparently, Jolie had been telling pals that Pitt looks like a total wreck. And she expects him to do something radical before she finds him attractive again. However, Pitt couldn't digest such remarks, but once he calmed down, vowed to get a facelift if that is what it takes to revive their relationship.

The Brangelina beauty saga has not just re-ignited the good old debate vis-à-vis do looks matter in love, but has also questioned if it is OK to taste the knife only to keep the love of your life hooked on to you forever. We explore the twists and turns that life takes when looks fade away and love needs a surgery to keep breathing.

We asked a few people if they will succumb to something as simple as a weight loss program or as extreme as cosmetic surgery if it means bringing the fizz back into their relations and here’s what we got to hear...

What look, eh?
“I’ll never change the way I look just because my wife doesn’t find me attractive any more,” says a perturbed 30 years old, Pankaj Madan, Mumbai based IT professional adding, “After all this was the face she fell in love with 10 years back. No matter how good or bad I look now, this is me for her and she’ll have to accept me like this.”

Neha Ghosh, a Delhi based Media Professional, who is about to get married doesn’t mind chopping off some flab, but on her own terms and conditions, “I won’t do it for him, but only if I am convinced that a little surgery or a weight loss program would add to my looks, then I’ll think about it. Love is more than superficial beauty. I love my man for the person he is.”

Looks don’t harm!
While many still subscribe to the old school of thought and consider love as a power that supersedes looks, there’s a clan that believes that looking good always strengthens the bond. Hear them...

Shweta Shahi, a newly married PR professional in Delhi has no qualms giving into her hubby’s demands, “I will go for it. I would never want him to lose interest in me.” But wasn’t love beyond looks? “Even I believe that looks don’t matter in a committed relationship, but it’s also true that when you look and feel beautiful your partner loves you more. So, I don’t mind taking a little professional help to look beautiful to my man. And since he is the most important person in my life, a suggestion from him will be accepted by me in the name of love.”

Thirty years old, Avinash Pawar from Mumbai finds the issue to be rooted in the comfort levels shared by the partners rather than looks or love. “If I share an over all sound marital equation with my wife and it is just a particular aspect of my personality that is bothering her, then I’ll surely go for it, considering it to be the only solution. It’s also about the comfort level between the two of us and the expectations that we have from each other. If my wife suggests something, I know it is for my benefit, why will I get offended?”

Anupriya Gupta, a teacher from Delhi doesn’t find anything awkward in Angelina’s demand, “She’s right in her own way. What’s wrong in working upon the way you look? Even I would ask my husband to take care if he is losing out on his charm.” But what about that love thingy? “Well, love won’t vanish, but then good looks don’t harm either.”

Cosmetically speaking
Cosmetic surgeon Dr. Anup Dhir says, “Cases like these are very common. On a daily basis we get 2-3 forced cases. Breast enhancement, nose jobs, anti-aging and fat removal are the most frequently asked for treatments. Many times we get to know such patients and deny them treatment, but there are stances when the pressure is so subtle that it doesn’t surface in one sitting. That’s the reason we take three counseling sessions before going ahead with any surgery.”

What remains your advice to such people? “There’s just one advice - No amount of cosmetic surgery can save a breaking marriage. Physical appearance is just one aspect of problems creeping in wedlock. So, only if a relationship is 100 per cent fulfilling on psychological and mental factors, then enhancing looks can make the partner feel good and improve his quality of life, thereby making a relationship better. But remember, no cosmetic surgery gives 100 per cent results. So there are chances that problem might persist even after the treatment, which may lead to frustration and further bitterness in relations,” suggests Dr. Dhir.

Psychologically speaking
People threatened to be abandoned in light of ‘fading looks’ by their partners often show lack of self-confidence, inferiority complex and even depression in extreme cases. So, if at all you want to pass on a message to your love, choose the right time and right words, without hurting the other’s sentiments and self-respect. While on the other hand, if your partner is giving you a suggestion, take it in a good stride. At the end of the day he/ she is only expecting you to look good.

Last but not the least, remember looks are bound to wear off with age; it is a person’s inner beauty that should be respected! 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home